Last year I did this blog post and I thought it might be nice to do it again, especially as I’ve actually kept a record of the books that I’ve read this year, so I can really get stuck in to looking at which my favourite books were. Shall I shut up and get on with it now? I think I shall.
1. Best Book You Read In 2014? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2014 release vs. backlist)
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Lexicon by Max Barry
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2014?
Hitchers by Will McIntosh
4. Book you read in 2014 that you recommended to people most in 2014?
The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson
5. Best series you discovered in 2014?
6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2014?
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. It was the first non-fiction book that I’ve reviewed on this blog!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2014?
The End of Mr.Y by Scarlett Thomas.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.
10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2014?
The Slow Regard of Silent Things- Patrick Rothfuss
11. Most memorable character in 2014?
Vianne Rocher from Chocolat, Peaches for Monsieur la Cure and The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2014?
The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
The Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring by Tolkien
15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
“Sometimes I like to think that I live with ghosts. Not from my own past- I don’t believe in those sorts of ghosts- but wispy bits of ideas and books that hang in the air like silk puppets. Sometimes I think I see my own ideas floating around, too, but they don’t usually last long. They’re more like mayflies: they’re born, big and gleaming, and then they fly around, buzzing like crazy before they simply fall to the floor, dead, about twenty-four hours later. I’m not sure I’ve ever thought anything original anyway, so I don’t mind.” The End of Mr.Y by Scarlett Thomas.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
Shortest: The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
Longest: Lirael by Garth Nix
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. A certain character dies that I was not expecting to die. I shall say no more.
18. Favourite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2014 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Sabriel and Touchstone from Garth Nix’s ‘Old Kingdom’ books. An old favourite.
19. Favourite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Sand by Hugh Howey
20. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The End of Mr.Y by Scarlett Thomas. My friend Alex recommended this book to me and then threw it at me while I was at his house. Of course, I read it!
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2014?
I actually read a fair mix this year, but I think it would still be a toss-up between fantasy and science fiction again!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Don Tillman from The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
I think I only read two books that came out this year! (And neither of them were a debut)
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2014?
I could go with the old favourites; Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen. Or I could go with Wool, Shift, Dust and Sand. Or The Slow Regard of Silent Things. Or The Lies of Locke Lamora. So many to choose from!!
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2014?
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Sabriel by Garth Nix. No matter how many times I’ve read it, it always gets me at the end.
27. Book You Read in 2014 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion. I didn’t get it for Christmas, but as soon as it’s out in paperback, that baby will be in my hands!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King. I read The Fellowship this year and about half of Two Towers, but it does take time to slog through them when you’re studying Renaissance literature and American Culture AND creative writing all at the same time!
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher. I alredy pre-ordered it on Amazon!
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
The Old Kingdom books by Garth Nix. I already have Clariel on my shelf, I just haven’t got round to reading it yet.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2015?
Last year I said that I wanted to post at least once a week. This year I want to post two book reviews a week, along with a Friday post every week (or at least most weeks), I also want to add in some more Top Ten Tuesdays and TV reviews. I want to try and read 101 books again in 2015. I didn’t quite manage it in 2014 but even if I don’t manage it again it did open me up to reading lots of books that I wouldn’t normally have picked up.